The ideal candidate will be able to work from one of our office locations in Waltham, MA or Huntsville, AL. Exceptional candidates may be considered for remote work.
We are seeking a Senior Systems Engineer to join the Humatics Mobility team. The ideal candidate will have a proven background in developing new systems in the rail/transit industry and experience in systems engineering techniques that bridge product management with engineering development. We’re eager to meet enthusiastic, qualified candidates wanting to join our team and help create the microlocation revolution.
Just as GPS drove huge gains in efficiency and safety, Humatics’ mobility products deliver centimeter or better performance in environments where GPS doesn’t work. Humatics Rail Navigation system --- using simple radio-frequency technology, sensor fusion, and a solutions-oriented approach --- pinpoints trains with centimeter precision accelerating signal modernization, improving revenue service reliability, and reducing system maintenance while enabling a variety of applications built upon a single microlocation foundation.
What You Will Be Working On
- Owns systems definition, architecture and systems requirements for Humatics mobility navigation products.
- Interface with engineering teams for requirements breakdown and review of sub-system designs and architecture to comply with system requirements.
- Assess system performance, recommend and implement future design improvements, and provide expertise on design for manufacturing and standardization specifications.
- Serve as project lead engineer ensuring milestone deliveries are met on-time and in accordance with quality and safety standards required for the project.
- Conduct detailed engineering analyses that consider overall system specifications, subsystem components, product requirements, schedule, and cost.
- Owns system quality by participation in change and failure review boards, conducting failure mode engineering analyses, assessing impacts of design changes on system performance, and seeing performance issues through to resolution.
- Collaborate with product development, quality, and safety teams to define requirements and use cases for the product.
- Collaborate with verification and validation teams to ensure full test coverage for system requirements.
- Identify risks and opportunities and provide solutions to management.
- Collaborate with the product development team to optimally allocate requirements and guide requirements-based tradeoffs.
- Collaborate with project management to ensure on-time, on-spec, and on-budget execution of work.
- Support sales and business development efforts by creating technical content to support proposals and customer presentations.
- 5+ years (with Masters’) or 8+ years (with Bachelors’) of experience in systems engineering including design and analysis, integration, and testing
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Electrical, Robotics, Mechanical, or related engineering discipline
- Demonstrated experience working with electrical, mechanical, and software teams - pulling in required technical team members as required to solve systems-level challenges under tight timelines
- Demonstrated experience with new product development and production at contract manufacturers
- Experience in working with CENELEC and ISO 9001 processes for product development
- Rail signaling experience and understanding, knowledge of train control systems preferred.
- Experience with navigation, transportation automation, or RF (like GPS, BT, Wifi) technologies
- Experience designing, coding, interpreting, and reporting numerical analysis of systems (experience with Python or Matlab desired)
- Ability to independently and rapidly tackle challenging technical problems with minimal supervision
- Strong communication skills including presenting results and recommendations both internally and externally
- Competitive salary
- Meaningful equity ownership in a well-funded startup
- Generous Medical, dental and vision benefits
- 401(k) plan
- Paid holidays and unlimited vacation
If you do not meet all these qualifications, but are excited about the opportunity, please apply!
Humatics is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, ancestry, or national or ethnic origin.